Geraldine (“Gerry”) C. Corn, 95, passed away on, January 21, 2018, at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, MD. She was born on January 24, 1922 in West Point, IA to Bernard (Barney) Lohman and Margaret Koepping Lohman.
Geraldine grew up in West Point, IA, one of nine brothers and sisters. She graduated from St. Mary’s High School in West Point in 1940. After high school she attended The DePaul School of Nursing, in St. Louis, MO, where she received a degree in registered nursing. After completing school, she enlisted in the United States Navy in 1944. During the war she was stationed at Mare Island Naval Hospital near San Francisco, CA, and later at a hospital in Inyokern, CA, near Los Angeles. While caring for the sick and wounded sailors returning from the Pacific theater of war, Gerry was one of the first nurses ever to administer the (then) wonder drug known as penicillin.
Geraldine married Heber S. Corn in 1946 in San Francisco, CA. They were happily married for 32 years and lived most of their married life in Columbus, OH. In addition to raising her three daughters, Gerry enjoyed many activities including singing in the church choir, golf, travel, and playing cards, especially Euchre and Bridge. After Heber retired they moved to Cape Coral, FL in 1978. When Heber died, Gerry moved to Ft. Myers, near Cape Coral, where she lived until finally relocating to Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, MD, in February, 2003 (she arrived in Gaithersburg in a blinding snow storm and almost turned around and went back to Florida!).